Sunday, April 3, 2011

Opening Show...Artist Statement...

Aware that at times words can cheapen experiences I am going to try to recount without sounding too much like a cliche. I also don't wish to be redundant in expressing the transformation that I am going through.

 When we create something we do it in hopes that when those creations are shared with the world those that encounter it can connect at some (or at any) level.
When we create and then decide to share and show to the world we stand in a very vulnerable place...
Kind of like that dreaded dream where we are standing in front of many completely naked.

adrianairis La Dulce Vida
The venue

adrianaris
My Sweet Friend Paige that helped in the set up of the show.

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

adrianairis La Dulce Vida


adrianairis La Dulce Vida

When I embarked on this project I was trying to recreate images and stills reminiscent of my childhood based on personal  imagery... visuals and dreams of far away places and books that took my imagination a bit further.

One of those books was The Little Prince. I have read The Little Prince in 3 languages and have also read it at different stages of my life and each time it teaches me something different and I find new meaning.

On my first images for this show I knew I wanted to recreate the flock of birds that takes the Little Prince in flight....I wanted to recreated and not by any digital means.

*The Little Prince image from the book*



 I chose silhouette photography to give that dreamlike quality which you never know who the person is on the vision or images in dream state. I was also inspired by the Victorian shadow paper theatre.

*Here is an example of it so you can get a sense of shadow theatre.*








My characters were my children...1st attempt. My first efforts with the flock of birds. This is not the final image I chose.

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

I did not like it....I was not satisfied...
I went back and built more birds...  What's a girl to do?!...
I made them out of paper and we build a copper and wicker flock of birds all by hand at this time we knew we had created not only a prop but an art installation to go along with the image.

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

Now we have created a one of a kind...
Artisan bread baby...
Since the dreamer is me as a child...
I used Maia as my "Little Prince"....
No artificial light and no digital enhancement on props or backgrounds.
Final Piece that made it to the show...

*Please excuse the watermarks but these are for sale and for charity also these are the digital versions originals are printed in metallic paper giving the image a 3D quality. I chose to mount them on floating frames to give the look of a slide for a projector or view masters which remind me of my childhood. If the gallery would have been another these pieces would have been inside a black box where you could peep at the images through a peep-hole *

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

The second is all about perspective and my dreams of Africa... The giraffe was 6 foot tall and made out of wood.

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

Third is all about One Thousand and One Nights...

adrianairis La Dulce Vida

And to close this post My Bio written by my hubby and artist's statement that is placed next to my pieces...

Born and raised on the enchanted island of Puerto Rico, Adriana Iris Boatwright-Aponte studied photography at the University of Puerto Rico. Her inspirations stemmed from the silhouette shapes cast by the sunsets over the rainforest canopy of her home island. Black and white photography continues to be her focus of expression and using deep-rooted techniques such as solarization, filters, and distressing of film her photos radiate a natural light not enhanced by any artificial lighting. 
Now living in Savannah, inspiration continues to be fueled by the dripping moss on the Spanish Oaks and the golden sunsets over the marshes. Follow the artist by visiting www.adrianairis.com where she weaves together words and images in search for the Sweet Life/La Dulce Vida. 

This series of three is a collection of dream images from childhood now manifested by children. 

Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
~ 
Antoine de Saint Exupéry The Little Prince

13 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing your process with us! It's so neat to see behind-the-scenes of how you created the photographs. How exciting for you and for a good cause, too! :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shots with the birds are incredible...what a neat process. Thanks so much for sharing. And thanks for finding me on twitter. I'm now following you here and there - I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here for UBP11 Love your blog and just hit "Follow" button. Find me at www.way2goodlife.com
    P.S. Also if you can find a minute and vote for me as elenka29 here http://www.mamavation.com/2011/03/vote-for-mamavation-mom-3.html
    (it's a competition to get into fitness bootcamp for moms. There is no registration - just click and submit). Looking forward to reading more of your posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, these are stunning! I love the one with the birds. You are so creative.

    I wanted to let you know that I've nominated you on my blog for the Stylish Blogger Award. See it here and check out what you gotta do: http://spaghettiwesterner.blogspot.com/2011/04/me-really-thank-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopped by from the UBP, and I am stunned by the beauty of your perspective! No cliche here....just vision!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the show. Seeing the end result made the waiting worthwhile. I can't wait to see your next project.

    PS. the pleasure was all mine...thanks for letting me help set up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs! I really enjoyed hearing the history behind your shots. I hope that your art show goes amazingly well.

    If you're interested, I have a fun little giveaway on my blog today and you're welcome to come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breathtaking photography! Hope the show is all you hope it to be! Thanks for sharing.

    I'm here from UBP and can be found at www.savorthismoment.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading about your personal creative process. It's funny how we are guided by our intuition or gut feeling to know when each piece is just right.

    These photos are fantastic magical portals to other worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the girraffe one but they are all great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Job Adriana! My husband and I were considering a trip to Savannah in April or May - how long will the photos be up? I would love it if we made it down there in time!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a sweet comment...