Wednesday, September 26, 2012

About Shadows...

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by light. From sunlight to the shiny prism and the colors reflected on a crystal. One thing I was terrified of were the shadows. As children our imagination takes us on many journeys. You add imagination and experiences lived which also tend to dictate the way we see things and this is how fairy tales are born.



Photobucket



I remember at the age of eight during a complete power blackout I, lit a match close to a window and right there the silhouette of a man that appeared to be 10 feet high.  Scared I ran as fast as I could from the window into my mothers arms. He was trying to break into our home. It was late in the evening and my mother was taking care of all three kids on her own (My father worked nights as a singer in the tourist area of the island) She too was terrified. From the hallway where she had locked herself with all three of us she screamed "Do not come near us I have a gun and I will use it and the police are on their way... Please go away".

To this day nothing is more heartbreaking to me than a mother making a plea for her children.


 Photobucket



For many years the windows opened after the sunset terrified me but my love for photography and working in a dark room appeased not only the fear of shadows but of darkness. I learned to embrace both sides... the light and the dark. A lesson that would help me throughout life when I was dealing with the highs and lows that we all go through. I learned to balance the yin yang. Using the dark times for reflection and awareness and utilizing the light to counteract the effect of the darkness providing me with inspiration and appreciation without leaving me cynical and jaded.



 Photobucket



Thirty two years have gone by since my encounter with the scary shadow. Thirty two years since I have feared the darkness. For now I understand if you don't have any shadows...you are not in the light.


 Photobucket



Happy Midweek Peeps...



Photobucket



And please stay sweet...

9 comments:

  1. Dark & Light...enjoyed your post. Very nice images. Looking forward to the festival on Saturday. I'll be flying solo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark and light, in the shadows, I love it. And the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriana, that must have been a terrifying experience. I could see why the experience would stay for you a while, kind of like hearing gun shots as a kid. Miss you, Amiga. These photos are adorable. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que post más emocionante. Que experiencia tan horrible, puedo imaginar el miedo de tu madre y como estaría dispuesta a hacer lo que fuera para protegeros. Nada es tan fuerte como el amor de una madre

    ReplyDelete
  5. B e a u t i f u l...

    I love glimpsing at light thru the shadows.

    It's like "hope."

    Xxxxxx Kisssss

    have a good weekend w/ your family

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are beautiful and so neat. I may need to try to take some like this with my kids!

    http://fivefeetoffun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to see what you come up with. if you do I will make sure to link it in one of my posts.

      Delete

Leave a sweet comment...